Total Pageviews

Sunday 22 April 2012

Ker-ching!!!! Jackpot!!!

...Of the vintage sunglass variety.

We spent today pottering about- a lazy start, a lunch box from Ottolenghi eaten while we perched on a neighbour's planter box, and a stroll through Portobello market. All in all, a lovely, lazy Sunday (as  all Sundays should be). But despite our best efforts to accomplish very little, B and I unassumingly hit vintage gold.

The place? Hilary Proctor on Portobello Road.

The merch? A myriad of furs (from boleros to full length coats, all kinds), bags, and mens jackets (B snaffled up a fantastic Harris tweed jacket that fits like a dream)- all of exceptional quality. And, obviously, sunglasses. That Hilary has an incredibly discerning eye.

I was grieving the destruction of my blue framed Marc Jacobs sunnies, which I have worn incessantly for about 2 years and were sand-blasted to smithereens in the Moroccan desert dunes. But in this little bag (Delilah making a cameo appearance in front of me)... lies my summer eye-wardrobe.

Item 1: Classic gold-rimmed vintage Dior's with graduated rose tinted lenses and cut outs at the side. Very 70's poolside glamour. A little OTT and a bit glitzier than my usual style, but I fell in love with them instantly.


Item 2: Another pair of vintage Dior's with a bit of a 50's reference. I really dig the slight cats eye shape-since I can't carry off the very streamlined cats eye shapes that are everywhere at the moment (particularly adore the ones in the latest Prada campaign but they unfortunately make my head look like a tennis ball... albeit a slightly less fuzzy and yellow version) these are a great compromise. I also love the silver checked detail at the corners that reminds me of some sort of futuristic snakeskin print.
(T-shirt- Antipodium; Jacket- Onitsuka Tiger)

 Item 3: Giant, square YSL's with nude frames that fade to clear across the nasal bridge. Also with graduated lenses, but a little more 80's with chunkier frames and ostentatious gold logos on the sides.

As an aussie, I feel naked if the sun is shining and I'm not wearing sunnies. So I was overjoyed to stumble across a treasure trove of beauties on what was, in truth, a very wet and grey London afternoon. A veritable journey through the decades. I'm pleased as punch.

K- when you come to London in June, I need to take you there.

Here's hoping we get at least 3 days of sun this summer so I get to wear each one.

Ciao,

Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment